Publications & Resources
Urban Beat is the newsletter of the Clean Air and Urban Landscapes Hub. It is published three times a year. Selected stories may be read online, or a pdf version can be downloaded. If you would like to receive a hardcopy of the newsletter please contact us.
CAUL Hub research briefs describe the practical research problems that we are addressing. Each brief describes the currrent state of knowledge in the area, a description of the CAUL Hub's contribution and the expected outcome of our research, all with a focus on the needs of research end-users.
Cranney et al. 2017 The Little Things that Run the City - 30 amazing insects that live in Melbourne!
A Data-driven Approach to Understanding Urban Greenspaces in Melbourne, Australia Report prepared for the City of Melbourne
- Annual Report on Air Quality Variability in Sydney
- An assessment of the national effort towards feral cat control Report prepared for the Australian Government Department of the Environment and Energy
- Assessment of the climate change vulnerability of the living plant collections in the Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne Report prepared for the Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria
- Climate risk assessment of potential threatened species for the living plant collections in the Melbourne Gardens, Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria Report prepared for the Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria
- Creating Liveable Cities in Australia
- Exploring potential measurement and modelling techniques for estimating human exposure to airborne pollutants
- Greening the West - Assessment of the functioning and implications of collaborative efforts to achieve urban greening in Melbourne's West
- Our City’s Little Gems – Butterfly diversity and flower-butterfly interactions in the City of Melbourne
- PM2.5 LUR Model and Health Outcomes
- ￼Quality Green Space Supporting Health, Wellbeing and Biodiversity: A Literature Review
- Risks to Australia's urban forest from climate change and urban heat
- Where should all the trees go? Investigating the impact of tree canopy cover on socio-economic status and wellbeing in LGA’s Report prepared for Horticulture Innovation Australia
- ￼Annual Report on Air Quality Modelling
- ￼Annual Report on Air Quality Measurements
- ￼The City of Melbourne's Future Urban Forest: Identifying vulnerability to future temperatures
- Benefits of Urban Green Space in the Australian Context
- The Little Things that Run the City – Insect ecology, biodiversity and conservation in the City of Melbourne Report prepared for the City of Melbourne.
- Target species for rewilding, monitoring and public engagement in the City of Melbourne
- Bekessy SA, Hardy M, Backstrom A, Damiens F, Faulkner R, Garrard GE, Gordon A, Hartridge S, Kusmanoff A, Mata L, Mumaw L, Selinske M, Torabi N. (2016) Submission to the Melbourne Metro Rail Project Environmental Effects Statement
- Faulkner R, Corney H, Damiens F, Kusmanoff A, Gordon A, Hardy M, Backstrom A, Mata L, Mumaw L, Selinske M, Hartridge S, van Wijnen S, Smith T, Garrard GE, Peterson I, Torabi N, Bekessy SA. (2016) Comments on the Draft National Recovery Plan for Leadbeater’s Possum
- Kusmanoff A, Gordon A, Backstrom A, Damiens F, Faulkner R, Garrard GE, Hardy M, Hartridge S, Mata L, Mumaw L, Selinske M, Torabi N, Bekessy SA. (2016) Review of the Native Vegetation Clearing Regulations
- Kusmanoff A, Selinske M, Mata L, Bekessy SA, Gordon A, Garrard GE, Corney H, Backstrom A, Toorabi N, Hardy M, Damiens F. (2016) Submission on Victoria’s new biodiversity strategy: Protecting Victoria's Environment – Biodiversity 2036
- ￼Submission on the “Better fuel for cleaner air" discussion paper
CAUL Hub Presentations
This section contains selected presentations given by and about the CAUL Hub.
Indigenous Engagement and Participation: A presentation given to the International Association for Public Participation conference, Adelaide, Oct 17 2016.
Quiet Streets and Clean Air: Street-level air quality study in SE Sydney: A presentation given by Pascal Perez at the International Symposia for Next Generation Infrastructure (ISNGI), London, Sept 2017.
CAUL Hub in the Media
- Common products, like perfume, paint and printer ink, are polluting the atmosphere The Conversation, 16 February, 2018
- The future of koalas in Australia, hunting turtles in the NT, and the people who search for the Tassie tiger ABC triplej HACK, February 14th, 2018
- The Threatened Species in our Urban Jungle" Pursuit 12 February, 2018
- Bring nature back into cities, planners toldGovernmentNews, December 4th, 2017
- Can virtual nature and poo transplants solve city dwellers' health problems? The Conversation, 1 November 2017
- Climate change and trees ABC Radio National, September 30 2017
- Could reducing top speeds on Australian motorways actually make traffic go faster?' news.com.au, February 10 2017
- Has the lawn outlived its purpose? ABC Radio National 'Blueprints for Living', March 11th, 2017
- Higher-density cities need greening to stay healthy and liveable The Conversation, May 5 2017
- How bringing nature to cities makes everything better Adventure Journal, March 6th, 2017
- How do we turn a drain into valued green space? First, ask the residents The Conversation, 8 November 2017
- How Melbourne's west was greened The Conversation, 16 October, 2017
- Mercury from the northern hemisphere is ending up in Australia The Conversation, October 2 2017
- Pests or pals? How to live in harmony with urban wildlife ABC Science, December 10th, 2017
- The Everyday War, Frogs, Christopher Morris My Marvellous Melbourne podcast, October, 2017
- Urban jungle: saving city wildlife with trees, green roofs and pools The Guardian, March 6 2017
- Why our poorer suburbs could be up to 10 degrees hotter than their wealthier neighbours Domain, September 27 2017
- An Agreement Forever? Australasian Science, November 2016
- An agreement forever or not worth the paper they’re written on?Decision Point 97, August 2016
- A problem of hidden hazards: Common fragrances a public health problem Sydney Morning Herald, October 27 2016
- Bringing Nature Back to Cities is Good for Plants, Animals and Humans Ensia, October 19 2016
- Can cities save bees? The Nature of Cities: January 20th, 2016
- Cleaner Safe Air Needs You! Pursuit, October 16 2016
- Data is the secret weapon in the battle to save Australia's urban forests The Guardian, May 30 2016
- Does higher-density city development leave urban forests out on a limb? The Conversation, Apr 14 2016
- EcoCheck: Victoria's flower-strewn western plains could be swamped by development The Conversation, May 17 2016
- Getting smarter about city lights is good for us and nature too The Conversation, 16 December 2016
- Greener cities the key to happier, healthier, stress-free lives The Age: January 26th, 2016
- Holding on to what's golden NESP Threatened Species Recovery Hub, October 12th, 2016
- Indigenous knowledge to make cities better Media release, Feb 16 2016
- Islands in the sky used as Noah's ark for threatened plants New Scientist, November 9 2016
- Making megacities healthy for humans Pursuit, July 18 2016
- Our cities need to go on a resource diet The Conversation, December 1 2016
- Researchers on journey to new discoveries with $2.3m ARC grants RMIT News, May 23rd, 2016
- Sustainability science for urban pollinator research and conservation Ecojesuit, January 15th, 2016
- The Little Things that Run the City Wild Melbourne, 9 November 2016
- 'Threatened species live in every Australian city Conservation Magazine, Jan 5 2016
- Urban experts embrace Indigenous perspectives on greening our cities Media release, Feb 16 2016
- What effect will closet Trump voters have on the US Election? The Conversation, 2 November 2016
- Why the Songbird's Serenade Is Going Off Key Nautilus, July 21 2016
- Cities for Climate Change Pursuit, Dec 11 2015
- Cities support a greater number of threatened species than non-urban areas Science Daily, Dec 7 2015
- City sprawl or skyscraper tall: why can't Melbourne do urban design better? The Age, Oct 11 2015
- Government allocates almost $9 million to air quality research in Western Sydney Fairfield City Champion, Jul 2 2015
- Urban policy: could the federal government finally 'get' cities? The Conversation, Sep 28 2015
Goodman, N. B., Wheeler, A. J., Paevere, P. J., Selleck, P. W., Cheng, M., and Steinemann, A. (2018). Indoor volatile organic compounds at an Australian university. Building and Environment, 2018, ISSN 0360-1323 [pdf]
Hardy MJ, Bekessy SA, Fitzsimons JA, Mata L, Cook C, Nankivell A, Smillie K, Gordon A. (2018) Protecting nature on private land using revolving funds: Assessing property suitability. Biological Conservation 220: 84–93.
Hardy MJ, Fitzsimons JA, Bekessy SA, Gordon A. (Accepted, 31 Jan 2018) Purchase, protect, resell, repeat: An effective process for conserving biodiversity on private land? Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment.
Kendal, D., C. Dobbs, R. V. Gallagher, L. J. Beaumont, J. Baumann, N. S. G. Williams, S. J. Livesley and A. Algar (2018). A global comparison of the climatic niches of urban and native tree populations. Global Ecology and Biogeography, Volume27, Issue5, May 2018, Pages 629-637. [pdf]
Kendal, D. and K. E. Lee (2017). Managing biodiversity through social values and preferences. Niemela, J., Ossola, A. (eds) Urban Biodiversity: From Research to Practice, Routledge, New York pp 135-147
Mahmoudi Farahani, L., Maller, C., and Phelan, K. 2018. Private Gardens as Urban Greenspaces: Can They Compensate for Poor Greenspace Access in Lower Socioeconomic Neighbourhoods?. Landscape Online, Pp.1-18.
McKinney, M., I. Kowarik and D. Kendal (2018). The contribution of wild urban ecosystems to liveable cities. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening 29:334-335. [pdf]
Sievers, M. K., Hale, R., Parris, K. M., and Swearer, S. E. (2018). Impacts of human-induced environmental change in wetlands on aquatic animals. Biological Reviews 93, 529-554.
Steinemann, A. (2018). Prevalence and effects of multiple chemical sensitivities in Australia. Preventive Medicine Reports. Volume 10, June 2018, Pages 191-194.
Steinemann, A., Wheeler, A.J. & Larcombe, A. (2018). Fragranced consumer products: effects on asthmatic Australians. Air Quality, Atmosphere & Health, 1-7.
Threlfall, C. G. and D. Kendal (2018). The distinct ecological and social roles that wild spaces play in urban ecosystems. Urban Forestry & Urban Greening 29:348-356 [pdf]
Backstrom A, Garrard GE, Hobbs RJ, Bekessy SA. (Online, 6 February 2018) Grappling with the social dimension of novel ecosystems. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment. doi:10.1002/fee.1769.
Bowman DMJS, Garnett ST, Barlow S, Bekessy SA, Bellairs SM, Bishop MJ, Bradstock RA, Jones DN, Maxwell SL, Pittock J, Toral-Granda MV, Watson JEM, Wilson T, Zander KK, Hughes L. (2017) Renewal ecology: conservation for the Anthropocene. Restoration Ecology 25: 674-680.
Damiens F, Mumaw L, Backstrom A, Bekessy SA, Coffey B, Faulkner R, Garrard GE, Hardy M, Kusmanoff A, Mata L, Rickards L, Selinske M, Torabi N, Gordon A. (2017) Why politics and context matter in conservation policy: A response to Kareiva and Fuller. Global Policy 8: 253-256.
Dirgawati M, Heyworth JS , Wheeler AJ, McCaul KA , Blake D , Boeyen J, Cope M , Yeap BB, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Brunekreef B, Hinwood A. 2016. Development of Land Use Regression Models for Particulate Matter and Associated Components in an Area with Low Air Pollutant Concentration Airshed. Atmospheric Environment, 144:69-78. [pdf - manuscript] [pdf - supplementary]
Elise-Andrée Guérette, Monk, K., Utembe, S., Silver, J., Emmerson, K., Griffiths, A., Duc, H., Chang, L., Trieu, T., Jiang, N., Scorgie, Y., Cope4, M. and Paton-Walsh, C., (2017). Evaluation of regional air quality models over sydney, Australia. Clean Air Society of Australia and New Zealand Conference 2017 [Conference presentation - extended abstract]
Gong, Y., Morandini, L., and Sinnott, R. (2017) The design and benchmarking of a Cloud-based platform for processing and visualization of traffic data. 2017 IEEE International Conference on Big Data and Smart Computing (BigComp). [pdf]
Gong, Y., Rimba, P., Sinnott, R.O., (2017) A Big Data Architecture for Near Real-time Traffic Analytics. IEEE/ACM International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC) Conference, Austin Texas, December 2017. [pdf]
Goodman, N.B., Steinemann, A., Wheeler, A.J., Paevere, P.J., Cheng, M. and Brown, S.K., 2017. Volatile organic compounds within indoor environments in Australia. Building and Environment, 122, pp.116-125, ISSN 0360-1323 [pdf]
Garrard GE, Fidler F, Wintle BC, En Chee Y, Bekessy SA. (2016) Beyond advocacy: making space for conservation scientists in public debate. Conservation Letters 9: 208–212.
Garrard GE, Williams NSG, Mata L, Thomas J, Bekessy SA. (Online, 21 September 2017). Biodiversity sensitive urban design. Conservation Letters
Hanigan IC, Williamson GJ, Knibbs LD, Horsley J, Rolfe MI, Cope A, Barnett AG, Cowie CT, Heyworth JS, Jalaludin B, Serre M, Morgan GG. 2017 Blending Multiple Nitrogen Dioxide Data Sources for Neighborhood Estimates of Long-Term Exposure for Health Research. Environmental Science and technology; 51(21):12473-12480. doi: 10.1021/acs.est.7b03035. Epub 2017 Oct 10. [pdf]
Hardy MJ, Fitzsimons JA, Bekessy SA, Gordon A. (2017) Exploring the permanence of conservation covenants. Conservation Letters 10: 221-230. doi: 10.1111/conl.12243.
Hardy MJ, Fitzsimons JA, Bekessy SA, Gordon A. (Online, 20 July 2017) Factors influencing property selection for conservation revolving funds. Conservation Biology. doi:10.1111/cobi.12991.
Hurley, J., Taylor, E.J., and Phelan, K., (2017) Collaboration with Caveats: Research-Practice Exchange in Planning. Planning Practice & Research, vol. 32, issue 5, pp. 508-523. [pdf]
Ives CD, Gordon A, Oke C, Raymond CM, Heir A, Bekessy SA. (Online, 8 November 2017) Spatial scale influences how people value and perceive green open space. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management.
Ives, C. D, Oke, C., Hehir, A., Gordon, A., Wang, Y., Bekessy, S. A., (2017) Capturing residents' values for urban green space: Mapping, analysis and guidance for practice, Landscape and Urban Planning. Volume 161, May 2017, Pages 32-43. [pdf]
Kusmanoff AM, Fidler F, Gordon A, Bekessy SA. (2017) Decline of ‘biodiversity’ in conservation policy discourse in Australia. Environmental Science and Policy 77: 160-165.
Li, T., Sipe, N., and Dodson, J. (2017) Social and spatial effects of transforming the private vehicle fleet in Brisbane, Australia. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, vol. 51, March 2017, pp. 43-52. [pdf]
Lindenmayer DB, Crane M, Evans MC, Moron M, Gibbons P, Bekessy SA, Blanchard W. (2017) The anatomy of a failed offset. Biological Conservation 210: 286-292.
Lowe E. C., Threlfall C. G., Wilder S. M., Hochuli D. F., (2017). Environmental drivers of spider community composition at multiple scales along an urban gradient. Biodiversity and Conservation.
MacLachlan, A., Biggs, E., Roberts, G., Boruff, B., 2017. Urbanisation-induced Land Cover Temperature Dynamics for Sustainable Future Urban Heat Island Mitigation. Urban Science. 1(38)
Mata L, Garrard GE, Kutt AS, Wintle BC, En Chee Y, Backstrom A, Bainbridge B, Urlus J, Brown GW, Tolsma AD, Yen AL, New TR, Bekessy SA. (2017) Eliciting and integrating expert knowledge to assess the viability of the critically endangered golden sun-moth Synemon plana. Austral Ecology42: 297-308. [pdf]
Mata L., Threlfall C. G., Williams N. S. G., Hahs A. K., Malipatil M., Stork N. E., Livesley S.J. (2017). Conserving herbivorous and predatory insects in urban green spaces. Scientific Reports, 7: 40970.
Mumaw LM, Bekessy SA. (2017) Wildlife gardening for collaborative public–private biodiversity conservation. Australasian Journal of Environmental Management 24: 242-246.
Mumaw LM, Maller C, Bekessy SA. (2017) Strengthening wellbeing in urban communities through wildlife gardening. Cities and the Environment (CATE): Vol. 10: Iss. 1, Article 6.
Paton-Walsh, Clare; Guérette, Elise-Andrée; Kubistin, Dagmar; Humphries, Ruhi; Wilson, Stephen R; Dominick, Doreena; Galbally, Ian; Buchholz, Rebecca R; Bhujel, Mahendra; Chambers, Scott; Cheng, Min; Cope, Martin; Davy, Perry; Emmerson, Kathryn; Griffith, David W T; Griffiths, Alan; Keywood, Melita; Lawson, Sarah; Molloy, Suzie; Rea, Geraldine; Selleck, Paul; Shi, Xue; Simmons, Jack; Velazco, Voltaire (2017): The MUMBA Campaign: Measurements of Urban, Marine and Biogenic Air. Earth System Science Data, 9(1), 349-362, doi.org/10.5194/essd-9-349-2017 [pdf]
Data for above paper: Guérette, Elise-Andrée; Paton-Walsh, Clare; Kubistin, Dagmar; Humphries, Ruhi; Bhujel, Mahendra; Buchholz, Rebecca R; Chambers, Scott; Cheng, Min; Davy, Perry; Dominick, Doreena; Galbally, Ian; Griffith, David W T; Griffiths, Alan; Keywood, Melita; Lawson, Sarah; Molloy, Suzie; Selleck, Paul; Simmons, Jack; Wilson, Stephen R (2017): Measurements of Urban, Marine and Biogenic Air (MUMBA): characterisation of trace gases and aerosol at the urban, marine and biogenic interface in summer in Wollongong, Australia. PANGAEA, doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.871982,
Selinske MJ, Cooke B, Torabi N, Hardy MJ, Knight A, Bekessy SA. (2017) Locating financial incentives amongst diverse motivations for long-term private land conservation. Ecology and Society 22: 7. doi: 10.5751/ES-09148-220207
Steinemann, A. (2017). Health and Societal Effects from Exposure to Fragranced Consumer Products. Preventive Medicine Reports, 5, 45–47.
Threlfall, C. G., Mata, L., Mackie, J. A., Hahs, A. K., Stork, N. E., Williams, N. S. G. and Livesley, S. J. (2017). Increasing biodiversity in urban green spaces through simple vegetation interventions. Journal of Applied Ecology doi: 10.1111/1365-2664.12876
2015 - 2016
Dirgawati M, Heyworth JS , Wheeler AJ, McCaul KA , Blake D , Boeyen J, Cope M , Yeap BB, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Brunekreef B, Hinwood A. 2016. Development of Land Use Regression Models for Particulate Matter and Associated Components in an Area with Low Air Pollutant Concentration Airshed, Atmospheric Environment, 144:69-78.
Drijfhout, M., Kendal, D., Vohl, D. and Green, P. T., (2016). Sentiment Analysis: Ready for Conservation. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 14(10): 525–526, doi: 10.1002/fee.1435
Emmerson, K. M., Galbally, I. E., Guenther, A. B., Paton-Walsh, C., Guerette, E., Cope, M. E., Keywood, M. D., Lawson, S. J., Molloy, S. B., Dunne, E., Thatcher, M., Karl, T., and Maleknia, S. D., (2016). Current Estimates of Biogenic Emissions from Eucalypts Uncertain for Southeast Australia, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 16: 6997-7011. doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2016.08.013
Ives, C. D., Lentini, P. E., Threlfall, C. G., Ikin, K., Shanahan, D. F., Garrard, G. E., Bekessy, S. A., Fuller, R. A., Mumaw, L., Rayner, L., Rowe, R., Valentine, L. E. and Kendal, D. (2016) Cities are hotspots for threatened species. Global Ecology and Biogeography, 25: 117–126. doi: 10.1111/geb.12404
Keywood, M., Selleck, P., Galbally, I., Lawson, S., Powell, J., Cheng, M., Gillett, R., Ward, J., Harnwell, J., Dunne, E., Boast, K., Reisen, F., Molloy, S., Griffiths, A., Chambers, S., Crumeyrolle, S., Zhang, C., Zeng, J., Fedele, R., (2016). Sydney Particle Study 1 - Aerosol and gas data collection. v3. CSIRO. Data Collection
Keywood, M., Selleck, P., Galbally, I., Lawson, S., Powell, J., Cheng, M., Gillett, R., Ward, J., Harnwell, J., Dunne, E., Boast, K., Reisen, F., Molloy, S., Griffiths, A., Chambers, S., Crumeyrolle, S., Zhang, C., Zeng, J., Fedele, R., (2016). Sydney Particle Study 2 - Aerosol and gas data collection. v3. CSIRO. Data Collection.
Knibbs LD, Coorey CP, Cowie C, Dirgawati M, Heyworth JS, Marks GB, Morawska L, Pereira G, Hewson MG. 2016. Independent validation of a national satellite-based land-use regression model for nitrogen dioxide using passive samplers, Environmental Science & Technology .
Kusmanoff AM, Fidler F, Hardy M, Maffey G, Raymond C, Reed M, Fitzsimons J, Bekessy SA. (2016) Framing the private land conservation conversation: strategic framing of the benefits of conservation participation could increase landholder engagement. Environmental Science and Policy 61: 124–128.
Lohr, V. I., Kendal, D., Dobbs, C., (2016) Urban trees worldwide have low species and genetic diversity, posing high risks of tree loss as stresses from climate change increase. Acta Hortic. 1108, 263-270. doi: 10.17660/ActaHortic.2016.1108.34
Maron M, Ives CD, Kujala H, Bull JW, Maseyk F, Bekessy SA, Gordon A, Watson JEM, Lentini P, Gibbons P, Possingham HP, Hobbs RJ, Keith DA, Wintle BA, Evans MC. (2016) Taming a wicked problem: resolving controversies in biodiversity offsetting. BioScience 66: 489-498. doi: 10.1093/biosci/biw038
Parris, K. M. (2016). Do we need a new theory of urban ecology? Bulletin of the British Ecological Society 47, 28-31.
Parris, K. M. (2015). Ecological impacts of road noise and options for mitigation. Pp. 151-158 in R. van der Ree, C. Grilo and D. Smith (eds), Handbook of Road Ecology (Wiley Blackwell, Oxford).
Parris, K. M. (2016). Ecology of Urban Environments (Wiley Blackwell, Oxford).
Sinnott, R. O. and the AURIN Technical Team (2016). The Australian Data-Driven Urban Research Platform: Systems Paper. Australian Economic Review, 49: 208–223. doi: 10.1111/1467-8462.12152
Sinnott, R.O., Bayliss, C., Bromage, A. et al., (2016). Privacy Preserving Geo-Linkage in the Big Urban Data Era Journal of Grid Computing 14: 603. doi: 10.1007/s10723-016-9372-0.
Steinemann, A., (2016). Fragranced Consumer Products: Exposures and Effects from Emissions Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health 9: 861. doi: 10.1007/s11869-016-0442-z
Torabi N, Cooke B, Bekessy SA. (2016) The role of social networks and trusted peers in promoting biodiverse carbon plantings. Australian Geographer 47: 139–156.
Torabi, N., Mata, L., Gordon, A., Garrard, G., Wescott, W., Dettmann, P., & Bekessy, S. A. (2016). The money or the trees: What drives landholders' participation in biodiverse carbon plantings? Global Ecology and Conservation, 7: 1-11. doi: 10.1016/j.gecco.2016.03.008
West S, Schultz L, Bekessy SA. (2016) Rethinking social barriers to effective adaptive management. Environmental management 58: 399–416.
Wilson A., Kendal D., and Moore J. L., (2016). Humans and Ornamental Plants: A Mutualism? Ecopsychology. 8(4): 257-263. doi: 10.1089/eco.2015.0077.