Publications & Resources
Urban Beat is the newsletter of the Clean Air and Urban Landscapes Hub. It is published three times a year. Selected stories may be read online, or a pdf version can be downloaded. If you would like to receive a hardcopy of the newsletter please contact us.
CAUL Hub research briefs describe the practical research problems that we are addressing. Each brief describes the currrent state of knowledge in the area, a description of the CAUL Hub's contribution and the expected outcome of our research, all with a focus on the needs of research end-users.
CAUL Hub research reports detail the findings of CAUL Hub research projects.
- Risks to Australia's urban forest from climate change and urban heat (November 2017)
- Creating Liveable Cities in Australia (October 2017)
- Greening the West - Assessment of the functioning and implications of collaborative efforts to achieve urban greening in Melbourne's West (September 2017)
- ￼Submission on the “Better fuel for cleaner air" discussion paper (March 2017 - Submission to the Department of Environment and Energy on behalf of the Clean Air and Urban Landscapes Hub and the Melbourne Energy Institute)
- ￼Quality Green Space Supporting Health, Wellbeing and Biodiversity: A Literature Review (March 2017 - Report to The National Heart Foundation of Australia (South Australian Division) - External link)
- PM2.5 LUR Model and Health Outcomes
- Annual Report on Air Quality Variability in Sydney (2017)
- Exploring potential measurement and modelling techniques for estimating human exposure to airborne pollutants
- Annual Report on Air Quality Modelling (2017)
- ￼Annual Report on Air Quality Modelling (December 2016)
- ￼Annual Report on Air Quality Measurements (December 2016)
- ￼The City of Melbourne's Future Urban Forest: Identifying vulnerability to future temperatures (November 2016 - produced by the University of Melbourne for the City of Melbourne)
- Benefits of Urban Green Space in the Australian Context (August 2016)
- The Little Things that Run the City (September 2016 - produced by the Interdisciplinary Conservation Science Research Group, RMIT University for the City of Melbourne)
- Target species for rewilding, monitoring and public engagement in the City of Melbourne (March 2016 - produced by the Interdisciplinary Conservation Science Research Group, RMIT University for the City of Melbourne)
CAUL Hub in the media
- "Common products, like perfume, paint and printer ink, are polluting the atmosphere" The Conversation, 16 February, 2018
- "The Threatened Species in our Urban Jungle" Pursuit, 12 February, 2018
- "How Melbourne's west was greened" The Conversation, 16 October, 2017
- "The Everyday War, Frogs, Christopher Morris" My Marvellous Melbourne podcast, October, 2017
- "Can virtual nature and poo transplants solve city dwellers' health problems?" The Conversation, 1 November 2017
- "How do we turn a drain into valued green space? First, ask the residents" The Conversation, 8 November 2017
- 'Mercury from the northern hemisphere is ending up in Australia', The Conversation, October 2 2017
- 'Climate change and trees', ABC Radio National, September 30 2017
- 'Why our poorer suburbs could be up to 10 degrees hotter than their wealthier neighbours', Domain, September 27 2017
- 'Higher-density cities need greening to stay healthy and liveable', The Conversation, May 5 2017
- 'Urban jungle: saving city wildlife with trees, green roofs and pools', The Guardian, March 6 2017
- 'Could reducing top speeds on Australian motorways actually make traffic go faster?', news.com.au, February 10 2017
- 'Our cities need to go on a resource diet', The Conversation, December 1 2016
- 'Islands in the sky used as Noah's ark for threatened plants', New Scientist, November 9 2016
- 'A problem of hidden hazards: Common fragrances a public health problem', Sydney Morning Herald, October 27 2016
- 'Bringing Nature Back to Cities is Good for Plants, Animals and Humans', Ensia, October 19 2016
- 'Cleaner Safe Air Needs You!', Pursuit, October 16 2016
- 'Why the Songbird's Serenade Is Going Off Key', Nautilus, July 21 2016
- 'Making megacities healthy for humans', Pursuit, July 18 2016
- 'Data is the secret weapon in the battle to save Australia's urban forests', The Guardian, May 30 2016
- 'EcoCheck: Victoria's flower-strewn western plains could be swamped by development', The Conversation, May 17 2016
- 'Does higher-density city development leave urban forests out on a limb?', The Conversation, Apr 14 2016
- 'Urban experts embrace Indigenous perspectives on greening our cities', Media release, Feb 16 2016
- 'Indigenous knowledge to make cities better', Media release, Feb 16 2016
- 'Threatened species live in every Australian city', Conservation Magazine, Jan 5 2016
- 'Cities for Climate Change', Pursuit, Dec 11 2015
- 'Cities support a greater number of threatened species than non-urban areas', Science Daily, Dec 7 2015
- 'City sprawl or skyscraper tall: why can't Melbourne do urban design better?', The Age, Oct 11 2015
- 'Urban policy: could the federal government finally 'get' cities?', The Conversation, Sep 28 2015
- 'Government allocates almost $9 million to air quality research in Western Sydney', Fairfield City Champion, Jul 2 2015
- 'Grants to Melbourne researchers tackling challenging urban environments policy issues', The Age, Feb 5 2015
CAUL Hub presentations
This section contains selected presentations given by and about the CAUL Hub.
Indigenous Engagement and Participation: A presentation given to the International Association for Public Participation conference, Adelaide, Oct 17 2016.
Quiet Streets and Clean Air: Street-level air quality study in SE Sydney: A presentation given by Pascal Perez at the International Symposia for Next Generation Infrastructure (ISNGI), London, Sept 2017.
CAUL Hub publications
A brochure about the CAUL Hub can be downloaded here.
The current CAUL Hub Research Plan can be downloaded here.
Goodman, N. B., Wheeler, A. J., Paevere, P. J., Selleck, P. W., Cheng, M., and Steinemann, A. (2018). Indoor volatile organic compounds at an Australian university. Building and Environment, 2018, ISSN 0360-1323 [pdf]
Sievers, M. K., Hale, R., Parris, K. M., and Swearer, S. E. (2018). Impacts of human-induced environmental change in wetlands on aquatic animals. Biological Reviews 93, 529-554.
Dirgawati M, Heyworth JS , Wheeler AJ, McCaul KA , Blake D , Boeyen J, Cope M , Yeap BB, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Brunekreef B, Hinwood A. 2016. Development of Land Use Regression Models for Particulate Matter and Associated Components in an Area with Low Air Pollutant Concentration Airshed. Atmospheric Environment, 144:69-78. [pdf - manuscript] [pdf - supplementary]
Elise-Andrée Guérette, Monk, K., Utembe, S., Silver, J., Emmerson, K., Griffiths, A., Duc, H., Chang, L., Trieu, T., Jiang, N., Scorgie, Y., Cope4, M. and Paton-Walsh, C., (2017). Evaluation of regional air quality models over sydney, Australia. Clean Air Society of Australia and New Zealand Conference 2017 [Conference presentation - extended abstract here]
Gong, Y., Morandini, L., and Sinnott, R. (2017) The design and benchmarking of a Cloud-based platform for processing and visualization of traffic data. 2017 IEEE International Conference on Big Data and Smart Computing (BigComp). [pdf]
Gong, Y., Rimba, P., Sinnott, R.O., (2017) A Big Data Architecture for Near Real-time Traffic Analytics. IEEE/ACM International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC) Conference, Austin Texas, December 2017. [pdf]
Goodman, N.B., Steinemann, A., Wheeler, A.J., Paevere, P.J., Cheng, M. and Brown, S.K., 2017. Volatile organic compounds within indoor environments in Australia. Building and Environment, 122, pp.116-125, ISSN 0360-1323 [pdf]
Hanigan IC, Williamson GJ, Knibbs LD, Horsley J, Rolfe MI, Cope A, Barnett AG, Cowie CT, Heyworth JS, Jalaludin B, Serre M, Morgan GG. 2017 Blending Multiple Nitrogen Dioxide Data Sources for Neighborhood Estimates of Long-Term Exposure for Health Research. Environmental Science and technology; 51(21):12473-12480. doi: 10.1021/acs.est.7b03035. Epub 2017 Oct 10. [pdf]
Hurley, J., Taylor, E.J., and Phelan, K., (2017) Collaboration with Caveats: Research-Practice Exchange in Planning. Planning Practice & Research, vol. 32, issue 5, pp. 508-523. [pdf]
Ives, C. D, Oke, C., Hehir, A., Gordon, A., Wang, Y., Bekessy, S. A., (2017) Capturing residents' values for urban green space: Mapping, analysis and guidance for practice, Landscape and Urban Planning, Volume 161, May 2017, Pages 32-43, ISSN 0169-2046, doi: 10.1016/j.landurbplan.2016.12.010. [Restricted Access - journal homepage here]
Li, T., Sipe, N., and Dodson, J. (2017) Social and spatial effects of transforming the private vehicle fleet in Brisbane, Australia. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, vol. 51, March 2017, pp. 43-52. [pdf]
Lowe E. C., Threlfall C. G., Wilder S. M., Hochuli D. F., (2017). Environmental drivers of spider community composition at multiple scales along an urban gradient. Biodiversity and Conservation. DOI 10.1007/s10531-017-1466-x journal link (restricted access)
Mata L., Threlfall C. G., Williams N. S. G., Hahs A. K., Malipatil M., Stork N. E., Livesley S.J. (2017), Conserving herbivorous and predatory insects in urban green spaces. Scientific Reports, 7: 40970. doi: 10.1038/srep40970 [Open Access - pdf available here]
Paton-Walsh, Clare; Guérette, Elise-Andrée; Kubistin, Dagmar; Humphries, Ruhi; Wilson, Stephen R; Dominick, Doreena; Galbally, Ian; Buchholz, Rebecca R; Bhujel, Mahendra; Chambers, Scott; Cheng, Min; Cope, Martin; Davy, Perry; Emmerson, Kathryn; Griffith, David W T; Griffiths, Alan; Keywood, Melita; Lawson, Sarah; Molloy, Suzie; Rea, Geraldine; Selleck, Paul; Shi, Xue; Simmons, Jack; Velazco, Voltaire (2017): The MUMBA Campaign: Measurements of Urban, Marine and Biogenic Air. Earth System Science Data, 9(1), 349-362, doi.org/10.5194/essd-9-349-2017 [pdf]
Data for above paper: Guérette, Elise-Andrée; Paton-Walsh, Clare; Kubistin, Dagmar; Humphries, Ruhi; Bhujel, Mahendra; Buchholz, Rebecca R; Chambers, Scott; Cheng, Min; Davy, Perry; Dominick, Doreena; Galbally, Ian; Griffith, David W T; Griffiths, Alan; Keywood, Melita; Lawson, Sarah; Molloy, Suzie; Selleck, Paul; Simmons, Jack; Wilson, Stephen R (2017): Measurements of Urban, Marine and Biogenic Air (MUMBA): characterisation of trace gases and aerosol at the urban, marine and biogenic interface in summer in Wollongong, Australia. PANGAEA, doi.org/10.1594/PANGAEA.871982,
Steinemann, A. (2017). Health and Societal Effects from Exposure to Fragranced Consumer Products. Preventive Medicine Reports, 5, 45–47.
Threlfall, C. G., Mata, L., Mackie, J. A., Hahs, A. K., Stork, N. E., Williams, N. S. G. and Livesley, S. J. (2017), Increasing biodiversity in urban green spaces through simple vegetation interventions. Journal of Applied Ecology doi: 10.1111/1365-2664.12876 [Restricted Access - journal homepage here]
2015 - 2016
Knibbs LD, Coorey CP, Cowie C, Dirgawati M, Heyworth JS, Marks GB, Morawska L, Pereira G, Hewson MG. 2016. Independent validation of a national satellite-based land-use regression model for nitrogen dioxide using passive samplers, Environmental Science & Technology. [pdf]
Parris, K. M. (2016). Ecology of Urban Environments (Wiley Blackwell, Oxford).
Parris, K. M. (2016). Do we need a new theory of urban ecology? Bulletin of the British Ecological Society 47, 28-31.
Knibbs LD, Coorey CP, Cowie C, Dirgawati M, Heyworth JS, Marks GB, Morawska L, Pereira G, Hewson MG. 2016. Independent validation of a national satellite-based land-use regression model for nitrogen dioxide using passive samplers, Environmental Science & Technology accepted 22 October 2016.
Dirgawati M, Heyworth JS , Wheeler AJ, McCaul KA , Blake D , Boeyen J, Cope M , Yeap BB, Nieuwenhuijsen M, Brunekreef B, Hinwood A. 2016. Development of Land Use Regression Models for Particulate Matter and Associated Components in an Area with Low Air Pollutant Concentration Airshed, Atmospheric Environment, 144:69-78.
Dirgawati M., Heyworth J. S., Wheeler A. J., McCaul K. A., Blake D., Boeyen J., Cope M., Yeap B. B., Nieuwenhuijsen M., Brunekreef B., Hinwood A., (2016). Development of Land Use Regression Models for Particulate Matter and Associated Components in an Area with Low Air Pollutant Concentration Airshed. Atmospheric Environment, 144:69-78. doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2016.08.013 [Restricted Access - journal homepage here]
Drijfhout, M., Kendal, D., Vohl, D. and Green, P. T., (2016). Sentiment Analysis: Ready for Conservation. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 14(10): 525–526, doi: 10.1002/fee.1435 [Restricted Access - journal homepage here]
Emmerson, K. M., Galbally, I. E., Guenther, A. B., Paton-Walsh, C., Guerette, E., Cope, M. E., Keywood, M. D., Lawson, S. J., Molloy, S. B., Dunne, E., Thatcher, M., Karl, T., and Maleknia, S. D., (2016). Current Estimates of Biogenic Emissions from Eucalypts Uncertain for Southeast Australia, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 16: 6997-7011. doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2016.08.013 [Open Access - pdf here]
Ives, C. D., Lentini, P. E., Threlfall, C. G., Ikin, K., Shanahan, D. F., Garrard, G. E., Bekessy, S. A., Fuller, R. A., Mumaw, L., Rayner, L., Rowe, R., Valentine, L. E. and Kendal, D. (2016), Cities are hotspots for threatened species. Global Ecology and Biogeography, 25: 117–126. doi: 10.1111/geb.12404 [Restricted Access - journal homepage here]
Keywood, M., Selleck, P., Galbally, I., Lawson, S., Powell, J., Cheng, M., Gillett, R., Ward, J., Harnwell, J., Dunne, E., Boast, K., Reisen, F., Molloy, S., Griffiths, A., Chambers, S., Crumeyrolle, S., Zhang, C., Zeng, J., Fedele, R., (2016). Sydney Particle Study 1 - Aerosol and gas data collection. v3. CSIRO. Data Collection. [Open Access - dataset here]
Keywood, M., Selleck, P., Galbally, I., Lawson, S., Powell, J., Cheng, M., Gillett, R., Ward, J., Harnwell, J., Dunne, E., Boast, K., Reisen, F., Molloy, S., Griffiths, A., Chambers, S., Crumeyrolle, S., Zhang, C., Zeng, J., Fedele, R., (2016). Sydney Particle Study 2 - Aerosol and gas data collection. v3. CSIRO. Data Collection. [Open Access - dataset here]
Knibbs L. D., Coorey C. P., Cowie C., Dirgawati M., Heyworth J. S., Marks G. B., Morawska L., Pereira G., Hewson M. G., (2016). Independent validation of a national satellite-based land-use regression model for nitrogen dioxide using passive samplers, Environmental Science & Technology, accepted 22 October 2016. doi: 10.1021/acs.est.6b03428 [Restricted Access - journal homepage here]
Lohr, V. I., Kendal, D., Dobbs, C., (2016) Urban trees worldwide have low species and genetic diversity, posing high risks of tree loss as stresses from climate change increase, Acta Hortic. 1108, 263-270. doi: 10.17660/ActaHortic.2016.1108.34 [Restricted Access - journal homepage here]
Mata L., Garrard G. E., Kutt A. S., Wintle B. C., En Chee Y., Backstrom A., Bainbridge B., Urlus J., Brown G. W., Tolsma A. D., Yen A. L., New T. R., Bekessy S. A., (Online, 6 September 2016) Eliciting and integrating expert knowledge to assess the viability of the critically endangered golden sun-moth Synemon plana. Austral Ecology. 42: 297–308. doi: 10.1111/aec.12431 [Restricted Access - journal homepage here]
Sinnott, R. O. and the AURIN Technical Team (2016), The Australian Data-Driven Urban Research Platform: Systems Paper. Australian Economic Review, 49: 208–223. doi: 10.1111/1467-8462.12152 [Open Access - pdf here]
Sinnott, R.O., Bayliss, C., Bromage, A. et al., (2016). Journal of Grid Computing 14: 603. doi: 10.1007/s10723-016-9372-0. [Restricted Access - journal homepage here]
Steinemann, A., (2016). Fragranced Consumer Products: Exposures and Effects from Emissions, Air Quality, Atmosphere and Health 9: 861. doi: 10.1007/s11869-016-0442-z [Open Access - pdf here]
Torabi, N., Mata, L., Gordon, A., Garrard, G., Wescott, W., Dettmann, P., & Bekessy, S. A. (2016). The money or the trees: What drives landholders' participation in biodiverse carbon plantings? Global Ecology and Conservation, 7: 1-11. doi: 10.1016/j.gecco.2016.03.008 [Restricted Access - journal homepage here]
Wilson A., Kendal D., and Moore J. L., (2016). Humans and Ornamental Plants: A Mutualism? Ecopsychology. 8(4): 257-263. doi: 10.1089/eco.2015.0077. [Restricted Access - journal homepage here]
Parris, K. M. (2015). Ecological impacts of road noise and options for mitigation. Pp. 151-158 in R. van der Ree, C. Grilo and D. Smith (eds), Handbook of Road Ecology (Wiley Blackwell, Oxford).